Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Its Coffee Time !!!

Blog Marathon Post 6

Its drizzling outside; I can see the raindrops slowly hitting the window panes and flowing down. They form patterns on the pane, try to do a small dance before flowing in unison to the ground. Suddenly, I feel the urge to have a coffee. I am surprised at myself because I had left the habit of having coffee or tea for quite sometime. Nowadays the only time I drink I either coffee/tea is when I visit somebody's house and they offer me a cup of tea/coffee. I play with idea for sometime and the craving takes over me. I pick up a few notes and head over to the nearby barista. On reaching barista, I casually remark to the boy at the counter. "One Cafe Mocha, please. Take-away". Wasn't mocha always my favourite? In my coffee drinking days, I could count in my fingers the occassions when I had ordered something else. He nods, I pay him and he sets about making my coffee. With amazing dexterity, he juggles the cup, coffee bean powder, the bottle of chocolate sauce, the steamer and milk bottle and viola, the mocha is ready. I pick up the coffee and head back to my desk.



Back at my desk, the rich aroma of the coffee fills my nostrils, arousing my senses instantly. I take one sip and the rich nutty flavour fills my mouth, lifting my spirits. The caffeine has its own way of spelling a cast on our body with its magic. Holding the coffee cup, gazing into the rain outside, I wonder how my relationship with coffee have evolved over these years.

While I was staying with my parents, well after my bournvita-drinking ages, I used to have three cups of coffee daily. A black coffee early in the morning, one filter coffee with breakfast and another with snacks in the evening. Those times, my mom brewed the excellent filter coffee, added a drop of her love and the end product was amazing. back then, I was entirely a coffee person. I refused to drink tea and when I went visiting my relatives, my aunts had to prepare coffee especially for me. I never took tea from restaurants or friends' place or my own home. It was always coffee for me. I was in love with the beverage. It acted as a mood lifter, energy booster and a tasty beverage - a very faithful companion for all the times.

Once I moved out of my home, the luxury of someone brewing a cup of coffee was over. Inaccessibility to a well-equipped kitchen, prevented me from brewing a coffee for myself. So my coffee drinking pattern changed from regular coffees to once in a while coffee with friends. Still, CCD stayed the favourite hang out place with friends and hence coffee drinking was confined to weekends. This continued for the next two years when I was in Bangalore.

During my MBA days, our mess served regular tea and by that time I had gone from a tea-hater to I-am-ok-with-drinking-tea person. I used to take tea once in a while and my dear friend M was a huge tea-lover. Whenever I used to go out with her, we always drank tea. Coffee drinking was a rarity those days.

Once the MBA was over and I came to Hyderabad, I stopped drinking tea or coffee for purely health reasons. Tea or Coffee was limited to very very rare occassions like meeting up with a friend in a coffee shop or while visiting my parents back home. However, over these years, two things remained constant in my life: First, a black coffee, early morning from my mom is still one of the best things in my life. Second, 'Never ever in my life can I take coffee to stay awake for an exam. I can take coffee and stay awake and have fun, but for studying an exam, a coffee never helps' :|

As you can see, my relationship with coffee has evolved over a period of time. I went from an ardent coffee lover to occasional coffee drinker to a very rare coffee taker. Why am I reminded of all of these today? Because even today, when a rainy day comes, it becomes all cozy and I need someone of lift my spirits, I still go back to my age old friend. I still go back to your nuttiness, your flavour, your aroma and you my friend, never disappoints me. You do your duty perfectly, no matter how many years I have neglected you, no matter how disappointed you were when I chose other beverages over you. We may have many more rocky patches to tread on, but we will stick together for many more years to come.

Cheers to a cup of coffee :) So, what is your coffee drinking experience?

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At July 6, 2010 at 8:54 AM , Blogger Dhanya said...

Mine is more or less the same as yours. Was an ardent coffee fan back home but when i shifted to b'lore changed to tea as my roomies were tea lovers n it didn't make much sense to make coffee only for 1 person. But now I rarely take coffee or tea.

 
At July 6, 2010 at 9:18 AM , Anonymous Hitha.. said...

:) it wasn't just mum and aunties..even i brewed you few coffees here at home, remember :P but ya,i admit that few of them were unpalatable! :P

 
At July 6, 2010 at 9:23 AM , Blogger Dewdrop said...

@dhanya: Oh that makes two of us following the same line of destiny :)
@hitha: Oh yeah, I just forgot to add them :) There weren't unpalatable, they were just different ;)

 
At July 6, 2010 at 9:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not an ardent coffee fan, but yes, a coffee over tea any day!

P.S. Haven't been able to post comments on any so far....read them all....love them all :)

Pooj

 
At July 6, 2010 at 10:32 AM , Blogger Madhu said...

School days - I always wanted a hot cup of tea soon after I wake up in the morning.

Bachelor life - Stopped the morning tea as I had to prepare tea myself.

Married life - I wake up early morning and prepare tea for me and my wife ;)

 
At July 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM , Blogger Dewdrop said...

@Pooj: Thanks, hey, so when r we having a coffee together :)
@Madhu: Such a paradigm shift na ;) your wife is lucky to have you as her husband :)

 
At July 6, 2010 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Aparna (Life Takes) said...

i gulp down cups of tea during exams to burn the midnight oil

so tea reminds me of exams and night-outs! scary beverage for me!

but i love coffee. I used to have Nescafe in the mess during evening hang-out with the hostel girls

 
At July 6, 2010 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Pratibha said...

:) Now I feel I should head for a cup of coffee! Totally agree on the rain and coffee companionship..:)
You and Barista remind me of our Barista days, but more for the wicked brownie than the coffee! ;)

 
At July 7, 2010 at 1:08 AM , Blogger Kishley (Dolly Sapra) said...

:D I still love coffee.. My office kitchen people make a decent coffee.. Though it is nothing close to what our coffee club in prev office prepared.. :D Yeah. we had a coffee club thr.

Though yes, even i never had coffee to keep me awake for exams.. I am a morning person so probably thats why.. :D Even strongest coffee would nt be able to keep me from sleeping..

 
At July 7, 2010 at 2:01 AM , Blogger Dewdrop said...

@aparna: oh, I have usually seen coffee having that effect on people. Tea to stay awake is new for me. Nescafe coffee, ahh, you reminded me of my hang out in my hostel days :)

@Pratibha: True dear. Barista, wicked brownie and gals in pyjamas, oh I miss it :)

@Kishley: Coffee club, wow, that must be super fun :) I am not even a morning person, but still, coffee couldn't work its charm on me :D

 
At July 7, 2010 at 2:13 AM , Blogger Kishley (Dolly Sapra) said...

Yeah.. that was super fun.. We spared about half an hour daily around 4 to make our coffee, we use to make it the traditional beaten way.. And had loads of gupshup over snacks n coffee.. Our office had free snacks avilable round the clock!!

and about the stuff for cards,I do buy most of the stuff from Delhi, but order a lot from itsybitsy.com.. They have a good variety of card making supplies available!!

 
At July 7, 2010 at 5:51 AM , Blogger Dewdrop said...

@Kishley: Snacks round the clock !!! Half and hour daily to make coffee !!! Wow, a good place to work I guess :)

Thanks for the info on the website, your cards are a pleasure for eyes that I would like to try my hand at making one :)

 
At July 7, 2010 at 7:31 AM , Anonymous PB :) said...

I am more used to tea ... love a good cup of tea with some good 'kadi' (pazhampori, parippu vada etc) in the evening :) ... having said that, I love my coffee too ... and love trying various forms of it from CCD, Barista etc :)

btw, what exactly did u mean by u miss "gals in pyjamas, oh I miss it" ??? :P :P :P

 
At July 7, 2010 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Dewdrop said...

@PB: Oh don't remind me of pazhampori, my all time fav :D , I m so missing it now :(

Please read the below post for more info on gals in pyjamas :)
http://dewdrop-world.blogspot.com/2007/06/miss-ya.html

 
At July 7, 2010 at 1:45 PM , Anonymous RM said...

Yumm this is my area im a avid Coffee drinker i can give company for a cup of coffee any time of the day. Believe me the best time to have it would be between 3-4 in the morning. Cant remember a day in past 8-10 years where i dint had at least one cup of coffee.

 
At July 8, 2010 at 2:53 AM , Blogger Dewdrop said...

@RM: Between 3-4 in the morning, yeah, you are right, we used to do that at times during my MBA years. Wow, so you are an ardent coffee lover :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------