Saturday, July 10, 2010

My sins against gender stereotypes

Blog Marathon Post 10

IHM started it and I am taking this up myself because its so much fun :)

Have you ever wanted or done something your gender is not supposed to?

If you are a woman,

Have you ever wanted something that is considered ‘manly’ ? Like a basketball, a cell phone, a dog, a camera or a new laptop? A new car or motor bike? Ever wanted to be a pilot? A doctor or not a nurse? And the manliest want of them all – The remote! ;)

If you are a man,

Have you ever wanted something that only women are supposed to want – like bags, shoes, clothes, creams, perfumes, babies, flowers? A peaceful home and a happy family? Have you ever been afraid of the dark or of insects?

As a kid did you ever want to play ‘teacher-teacher’, cooking or did you like playing with a doll? Have you ever enjoyed cooking? Bought something in pink? Loved chocolates?

Are magazines and books, TV News and blogs for men or for women?

Religion and God? Pets? Politics? Air planes and cars? Technology? – Who should want them, men or women?
_________________________________________________

So here’s a tag – Please list at least ten things you have ever wanted or done which your gender is not supposed to.

The tag is called ‘My Sins against Gender-Stereotypes’. And you must tag twelve friends or else you will be cursed to wear blue clothes pants if you are a woman and pink shirts if you are a man – for next twelve years :)



1) I have travelled alone in all the major cities in India and United States too. I love travelling and I really enjoy it even when I am travelling alone. I have travelled alone by all the modes of transport, except for a ship.
2) I have eaten alone in restaurants. I have long learnt to avoid people's glances and carry on with my eating. I have gone to restaurants and asked for a 'table for one' when the usher himself was surprised to hear that.
3) I don't like pink and I seriously don't understand this obsession with pink clothes, bags, shoes, bed covers, etc.
4) I don't like cuddly teddy bears either. I can't dream of getting one as a present ever. I have told this to all my close friends too. "Please, please don't ever gift me a teddy as my birthday present"
5) I like intelligent conversations. Any conversation which challenges your thoughts/beliefs piques my interest; anyone who can strike an intelligent conversation; I love both of them equally. Want to discuss a book? a movie? some current happening? or anything worth discussing? Bring it on, I am always ready for it. I love debates too :)
6) I love books, but not chick-lit. A total no-no of me.
7) I love new gadgets and technology. I own a DSLR camera and was gifted an IPad on my birthday. Two of my most prized possessions at this point of time.
8) I hate saas-bahu serials and I don't watch much of TV. But I love watching tennis matches, Formula 1 and Football on television.
9) I love trekking and biking. These are two of the things which I am passionate about. I can also walk long distances without any complaints.
10) I will end this tag with something I want. I wish I can walk through any street in this world without being afraid of the fact that I am a woman and I could be attacked.

Yet, I love flowers, diamonds, babies, clothes, shoes, perfumes, home food, dancing, romantic movies and my family.

And I tag Pratibha, Dhanya, Aparna, Hitha, Kishley, Bindu, Sayesha, Sunshine and anybody who would like to take it up. I want so many of my blog readers/friends to take this up and give their answers, but sadly, they don't have a blog. PB, Pooj, RM, SD, Madhu, KMK, please feel free to use the comments space.

I am off to join the Facebook community. Do the tag fast and join me there also.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At July 10, 2010 at 10:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally like! :)

How many are the times I have been told I am a complete tom-boy for doing/wanting certain things and not being "girly" like I was supposed to!!
Love traveling, seeing new places, and like you, most often its been alone. Proud of it in some senses! :) NEVER played with dolls - yes, from that age I was a tom-boy ;-) I could never understand what was fascinating about a barbie, though I confess I was very attached to my cute teddy :) Love tennis and football, seen every grand slam while in school and college, seen every world cup since 94. there was a period(in school/beginning of college - basically the awesome sachin/sourav/dravid phase) when I knew the inside out of cricket as well - a good shocker to all my guy friends who couldn't take it I knew facts as well/more than they did. Till I grew out of cricket fever - now its hardly anything to me. Love gadgets and their intricacies - have been thinking about a really nice camera but even before that maybe the Kindle (mind you, given a choice, I would like to turn a page of a real book in my hand, but for so many books I dont have that choice!) Love romantic movies but love the action thrillers too!! Go with you on the intelligent conversations - one of the basic things I admire about you and cant say that for too many gals of my acquaintance :) Very few people I know have even heard of authors or classics that we have discussed, and most people dont have the slightest idea of what is happening in the world around them as in general awareness anyway!
Want is the same as what you and all women across the world would want.

Pooj

 
At July 10, 2010 at 9:01 PM , Blogger Sayan said...

You have a terrific blog, stumbled upon the post while aimlessly surfing internet.

As far the tag is concerned, I don't think anyone considers a cellphone to be a "manly" thing. Similarly there are plenty of men all around who wishes to have "a peaceful home and happy family". :)

 
At July 11, 2010 at 1:00 AM , Blogger Dhanya said...

wow nice list :)
For sure I'll take it :)

 
At July 11, 2010 at 2:55 AM , Blogger Dewdrop said...

@Pooj: Everything about cricket, wow !!! I was never so fascinated by cricket though I have watched lot many matches while I was in school.
Intelligent conversations : lady, that's one of basic things I admire about you too. Discussing things with you is always so awesome.
Never played with a doll? Oh, didn't know that yet.
Pleasure knowing you lady :)
@Geek: Thanks and welcome to the blog. Everything written above the tag is directly from tag originator page. Not my opinions :)
Keep reading !!!
@Dhanya: Sure, just waiting to read your answers

 
At July 11, 2010 at 5:11 AM , Blogger Kishley (Dolly Sapra) said...

:) yes ofcourse i would love to have my own list of ‘My Sins against Gender-Stereotypes’..

 
At July 11, 2010 at 12:11 PM , Blogger Dhanya said...

Done :)

 
At July 12, 2010 at 5:49 AM , Blogger Dewdrop said...

@kishley: Waiting to read your answers. I am sure it must be all fun facts :)
@dhanya: Thanks. Loved your answers.

 
At July 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM , Anonymous RM said...

hmm i should confess i love cooking(though im not very good at it) but i feel this domain is not just for girls common u cannot take this away from men.

 
At July 13, 2010 at 1:49 AM , Blogger Kishley (Dolly Sapra) said...

Here's the list of my sins :D

http://studiokish.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-sins-against-gender-stereotypes.html

 
At July 15, 2010 at 10:54 PM , Blogger Indian Home Maker said...

Loved your list, absolutely!!!!
5th is my favorite and in a traditional set up you would be considered a sinner for traveling and loving the outdoors (unless you were out fetching water in rural India).

Eating alone, hating saas bahu serials and loving technology makes you a SAGS (a Sinner Against Gender Stereotypes)- you are invited to join SAGS on facebook and to share the link to this post with other sinners.

 
At July 15, 2010 at 10:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I also own a DSLR camera, and since the 10th is amongst the highest in my wish list too (how I wish we could take this for granted) - we are sisters in sin.

 
At July 24, 2010 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Dewdrop said...

@RM: You said it right, we can't take it away from Men. Some of the world renowned chefs are men. Btw, I didn't know his fact about you. So when am I being treated to your delicacies?

@Kishley: Read them, loved them, glad to know we are sisters in sin.

@IHM: Very happy to see your comment. So I am a SAGS, yaaayyy !!!

And we are sisters in sin, yaaayyy again :)

 
At August 26, 2010 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Pratibha said...

Finally responded to the tagging! :) So how did the function go my dear gal? :) Loads of luv!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------